Wonder why your mom is behind you everyday insisting on having breakfast when you leave for college, school or work? Well she is right. Breakfast is important for each one of us. Lets find out how?
Breakfast which literally means breaking a overnight fast, is the first meal of the day. This is the most important meal of the day. This is because body is constantly using up energy during night for important body functions like pumping blood to all the parts of the body, breathing etc. Our body is starving entire night while we are sleeping and using up stored energy for performing the vital functions. Hence fueling body early morning is extremely important to maintain adequate blood sugar levels and prevent the body from fatigue and tiredness entire day.
The last meal for us is dinner and the difference between dinner and breakfast is nearly 12 hours. Those who skip breakfast this duration is extends upto to 16hours approximately. Our body is constantly at work and needs energy for the same. If we extend the difference between our dinner and next meal, chances are there that we might get fatigued and tired early. This affects the quality of work we do.
Hence for this, breakfast is needed.
There are some proven benefits of eating healthy breakfast-
1. Breakfast is extremely important for children and adolescent as children who have a proper breakfast are more likely to have better concentration, problem solving skill and better coordination than children who skipped breakfast
2. Research says that people who eat breakfast have healthier diet overall. They eat healthy and make healthier choices. Those who consumes breakfast cereals consume more vitmamins and minerals needed for body function
3. Breakfast also plays a role in improving mood as complex carbohydrate cereals have a positive effect on mood.
4. Breakfast omission is associated with an increased risk of Type 2 Diabetes and Heart Diseases.
5. Eating healthy breakfast helps in control blood sugar levels.
Having seen the benefits of breakfast, let’s find out how we can make our Indian Breakfast Healthy and nutritionally balanced.
Simple, Healthy, Tikaoo
Simple means anything such as poha, upma, paratha, thepla, oats etc. You don’t have to buy expensive or exotic things to make it healthy. Just by adding colourful veggies to the preparation you can make breakfast healthy.
Healthy means combination of carbohydrate and protein. Carbohydrate sources such as poha, upma, paratha etc. And protein sources such as any pulses/ dairy, eggs or chicken.
Tikaoo Any breakfast that you have should be long lasting . There is no point following a particular breakfast for 2-3 months and then getting back to normal. Whatever is quick and easy for you should be your go to option as breakfast. What we recommend is preparation of your meals before hand saves time and efforts during cooking. For example- Making batter, chopping vegetables at night incase you find it hard to do it in the morning. It’s better to save time and do preparations before hand than completely avoiding your breakfast
A healthy breakfast should be nutritionally balanced with carbohydrate, protein, fat, fibre, vitamin, minerals