This whole outbreak has made us realize how important it is to have strong immunity. People with compromised immunity are more susceptible to various bacterial and viral infections. So, tody we are sharing few simple tips that will help you boost your immunity naturally.
Proteins and Immunity
- Ideal requirement for proteins is 0.8-1g per Kg body weight. For example if an individual weighs around 60Kg then recommended protein intake is 48-60g.
- Try including one portion of proteins in every meal. (breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner)
- Few examples: Add a bowl of curd to your lunch and dinner. Include a glass of milk for breakfast, mix roasted soy flour to your wheat flour for chapattis, include sprouts/channa as snacks, etc.
- Few protein recipes: Stuffed Capsicum, Hung Curd Paratha
Fruits & Vegetables and Immunity
- Include 5 servings of colourful and seasonal fruits and veggies in your diet.
- 1 serving of salad for lunch and dinner, 1 serving of vegetables for lunch and dinner and 1 serving of fruit in between the meals will help you meet the recommended amounts
- Colorful fruits & veggies mean more antioxidants. Antioxidants help to fight free radicals in our body and boost your immunity.
- Fruits & veggies have fiber which helps to keep your overall body healthy.
- For improving eye health: include dark green leafy veggies like pumpkin leaves, spinach, coriander leaves, mint leaves, curry leaves, etc. which are rich in antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin.
- These recipes will help you incorporate fruit and veggies in delicious ways: Nutri –popsicles, Veggie Juices, Pav Bhaji Khichdi
Probiotics and Immunity
- Prebiotics and probiotics help in improving gut microbes/bacteria which in turn help to strengthen our immunity.
- Include food rich in prebiotics and probiotics like yoghurt, curd, buttermilk, apple, banana, flaxseeds, barley, etc.
- Have diet which is rich in fiber to help multiply these good bacteria
- Avoid stress, which lowers the count of these good bacteria
Spice & Herbs and Immunity
- Try having 1-2 teaspoon of either neem powder, triphla powder, curry leaves powder, turmeric powder, dried ginger powder or tulsi leaves, etc. on empty stomach with lukewarm water
- Include cinnamon (dalchini), cardamom (elaichi), aniseed (vilaiti sauf) ginger, garlic, in your routine.
- Try this recipe: Magic Herbal Drink
Water and Immunity
- Water requirement is 40mlxbody weight. For example if an individual weighs 50Kg, 40mlx50 = 2000ml. 2000 ml is his requirement. If you exercise then your water intake should be increased.
- Water helps to remove toxins from the body via kidneys through urine.
- It improves our metabolism and helps to boost immunity.
Sugar and Immunity
- According to a study in American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, a couple of hours after consuming food which is high in simple sugar slacks down our immunity.
- Simple sugar means table sugar, brown sugar, jaggery, honey, beet sugar, coconut sugar, maple syrup, etc.
- Go natural by including dates, raisins, figs, stevia, etc.
- Instead of high calorie desserts, try including recipes like Frozen Mango, Curd Parfait, Nutri-Popsicles. These recipes can be enjoyed by all age groups
Fatty Foods and Immunity
- Avoid having fried foods like chips, farsan, pakoda, etc.
- Fatty foods are high in saturated fatty acids, trans fats, salt or sugar. All are known to lower immunity
- Also, Fatty foods also interfere with antioxidant mechanism and lowers immunity
Exercise and Immunity
- A study in American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine stated that 20-30 minutes of exerice increases fighting capacity of our immune system.
- This fighting capacity remains increased for next 24 hours.
- Try including exercises like spot marching, spot jogging, walking, stair climbing, etc.
- There are many workout videos available on YouTube like
Sleep and Immunity
- Good quality 7 hours of sleep is important for your body to recover and rest thereby improving the function of immune cells.
- Solutions to get sleep: stay away from screens one hour before retiring to bed, listen to peaceful music, read something boring, keep the room dark, or pray.
- Sleep/meditative music you can try are
Immunity cannot be built in one day and hence, try to follow all the above tips. Focus on being positive and modifying your lifestyle into a healthy.
To get FREE health and food related tips, join our WhatsApp community today! To join click here
For more information please write us at email@example.com or WhatsApp here